Skip to main content

More on the class blog

Thanks guys, for the great ideas. It looks like I will have to do some preliminary work with the students on what a blog is and how to appropriately respond to someone on the internet (cyber-citizenship and netiquette). I found this great website with worksheets, and interactive internet lessons for several grade levels teaching Internet basics, safety and citizenship. It is www.cybersmart.org.

I like the idea of making this a semester-long project, since that's how long my classes are.
This project would have to be done primarily after school, since all blogging websites are blocked by our school district's internet filter policy. Any suggestions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Idea for my Classroom

I teach Introduction to Computer Technology in grades 5-8. So using a blog with my classes would be a natural fit. I would have the students blog about ways they use computer technology every day. The students would reply in a post on the blog site. Then, they could return to the blog later to see what the other students had to say in response to their post. In this way, we could have a meaningful class discussion over the internet. This blogging experience would demonstrate to the students the power of a blog and allow them to learn to use a blog.

Construction Zone?

I like using the constructivist theory in my classroom. Over the years, I have taught in several states and subject areas. I found a great “hands-on” or constructionist science curriculum that I could integrate with the one I was required to use. This curriculum is part of the Challenger Center program, http://www.challenger.org/. The point of each activity is to ask the students a key question, give them a materials list, and allow them to create an experiment or artifact that will answer the key question. My students loved this material, and their grades in my science class improved. I was surprised to see that their grades and problem-solving skills also improved in other classes as well. I currently teach computer literacy. I use a modified constructivist method in which I give students information, demonstrate the procedures, and then allow them to practice the skill on their own. This method can work with a technology class, as well as an academic area class. I love all the onli...

My GAME Plan-Week 4

During week 4, I need to evaluate my Action Plan using the following questions. Are you finding the information and resources you need? I am doing well finding information. I make time to read educational technology (ed. Tech.) blogs and listen to ed. Tech. podcasts. I have also signed up for our school district's instructional fair technology classes. I plan to attend sessions on Web 2.0 tools that work within my school district's strict filtering policies. I also plan to attend sessions on using Ebooks, and creating a web 2.0 web site, using our district-provided software.   Do you need to modify your action plan?  So far, I do not need to modify my action plan. Things are going well. I even have colleagues who plan to attend the technology sessions with me. What have you learned so far?  I have learned that I am using some of the teaching and assessment methods about which I am reading. I am feeling good about being a self-motivated and self-directed lear...