Skip to main content

Students Technology Usage


Subscribe Free  Add to my Page


I created a questionnaire to explore the technological demographics of the students in my classes. Most of the students polled have access to computers at home. They all have computer access at school since they are taking a technology class.
The students found the following differences in the way they use technology at school and at home.
1. They almost unanimously said that they had more “freedom” at home since the school has filters and limits on what they are allowed to do.
2. They said they were limited as to the amount of time they were allowed on the computers and the Internet.
3. They said that they have faster methods of communications at home with more means of communication.
4. They said that they have faster computers at home.
5. They said they have to “sneak” to use their iPod or text on their cell phones at school, but at home it was allowed.
As to the amounts of time students used technology at home, I found that
1. Approximately half of the students surveyed watched TV 2 or more hours per day.
2. All of the students surveyed owned iPods or mp3 players.
3. Approximately half of the students surveyed spent over an hour listening to music on their iPod or Mp3 player daily.
4. 29/35 use a computer at home every day. (83%)
5. 21 out of 35 students use instant messaging daily. (60%)
6. 25/35 students use social networking websites daily. (71%)
7. 18/35 students spend 1 hour or less doing homework on their computers. (51%)
8. 22/35 students play online games (63%)
As to students’ use of technology at school, I concluded:
1. Students are not allowed to use some forms of technology due to restrictions and filters.
2. SMART Boards were the most popular form of technology used at school.
3. Students sometimes “sneak” to use their cell phones and mp3 players at school.
4. Some classes allow their students to use the internet for research and to view teacher’s websites.
On the whole, most of the students have access to a computer at home and use it for at least 1-2 hours every day. Students spend more time overall instant messaging and social networking than doing homework on their computers. Overall, the results of the survey conclude that students use more technology to communicate at home than at school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Idea for my Classroom

I teach Introduction to Computer Technology in grades 5-8. So using a blog with my classes would be a natural fit. I would have the students blog about ways they use computer technology every day. The students would reply in a post on the blog site. Then, they could return to the blog later to see what the other students had to say in response to their post. In this way, we could have a meaningful class discussion over the internet. This blogging experience would demonstrate to the students the power of a blog and allow them to learn to use a blog.

Construction Zone?

I like using the constructivist theory in my classroom. Over the years, I have taught in several states and subject areas. I found a great “hands-on” or constructionist science curriculum that I could integrate with the one I was required to use. This curriculum is part of the Challenger Center program, http://www.challenger.org/. The point of each activity is to ask the students a key question, give them a materials list, and allow them to create an experiment or artifact that will answer the key question. My students loved this material, and their grades in my science class improved. I was surprised to see that their grades and problem-solving skills also improved in other classes as well. I currently teach computer literacy. I use a modified constructivist method in which I give students information, demonstrate the procedures, and then allow them to practice the skill on their own. This method can work with a technology class, as well as an academic area class. I love all the onli...

Behaviorism in Practice

The book, Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, made two “generalizations.” 1. “Not all students realize the importance of believing in effort. 2. Students can learn to operate from a belief that effort pays off even if they do not initially have this belief” (Pitler, 2007). Pitler continued by giving two examples of teachers who used spreadsheets for students to track and evaluate their own effort in relation to their grades. The teachers incorporated spreadsheet skills and graphing/charting with their regular math lessons. This use of technology showed the students with graphic representations how their effort was directly related to their grade (Pitler, 2007). The students recognized the correlation between their behavior, putting forth effort, and the desired response, a good grade. This is a practical application of behaviorism. Another instructional strategy mentioned in the book suggested using word processing software tools to research, not just write papers. ...